Monday, November 30, 2009

O'so's Lupulin Maximus

"I'm going to sit here and sniff the cone for awhile," says Meg. That's right. Every bottle of Lupulin Maximus, a 9% Imperial IPA for O'so Brewing, has a whole hop cone in it. We did a careful pour so that the cone/sediment stayed in the bottle.

Aroma: Light, fruity, creamy.

Appearance: Solid amber colored, bit cloudy. Good, tight, off-white head.

Taste: Sweet and alcohol - bit heavy on the sweetness. Creamy - balances out the high-alcohol content. Slighly bitter finish. I expect this beer was a little past it's prime, as there's no big aroma or really that much of a hop taste. I get mostly sweet and alcohol, and don't really want to finish the beer to be honest (we wound up cooking with it).

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side, resiny and sweet.

If I were at the brewery, I'd try a sample of this because I bet it's totally different when it's super fresh. But the hop cone here comes off a bit gimmicky as the beer didn't live up to it's name.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I love it and so do all of these guys!

    www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=27607

    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16386/46088/?ba=blackearth

    www.postcrescent.com/article/20091112/APC0402/91111141

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I was so surprised, especially after enjoying their IPA so much. Oh well, as I said, might have gotten an old bottle and would like to try it again sometime.

    ReplyDelete